snom BETA release “Apollo” speeds and simplifies enterprise-wide setup, configuration and management of snom UC SIP endpoints with Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Voice; also features new Music on Hold, Boss/Admin and Presence functionality for snom UC endpoints ‘Qualified for Microsoft Lync
snom , a leading developer of VoIP phones and IP communications solutions, today introduced a new beta release of firmware for its snom UC business phone portfolio for Microsoft Lync. Called “Apollo,” the new snom software features new configuration and management capabilities designed to accelerate the speed and simplicity for deploying and operating Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Enterprise Voice and snom UC edition phones in large multi-site business environments.
The new snom UC firmware also supports unique features for its ‘Qualified for Lync’ endpoints designed specifically for enterprise level installation of voice-enabled Microsoft Lync, including Music on Hold, Boss/Admin and integrated Presence capabilities.
Apollo delivers a range of new capabilities to make mass multisite deployment of voice-enabled Microsoft Lync with snom UC SIP-based business phones faster and easier, snom technology, Inc. Chief Operating Officer. Resellers and businesses alike will appreciate the technical benefits of these management and usability features that translate to bottom line savings for their Lync deployments, said Mike Storella.
snom “Apollo” Release Highlights
- Integrated configuration and management of snom UC endpoints within Microsoft Lync Server provides “plug and play” deployment simplicity:
Native software updates for snom endpoints can be made and managed directly from the Microsoft Lync server. “Easy sign-in” via extension and PIN enable snom UC devices to request and start using a client certificate for authentication, eliminating the need to enter full NTLM credentials. This makes the phones independent from password changes – a critical need in businesses where password changes are frequent. The “hot desking” functionality allows users to sign into multiple accounts. The new firmware also adds support for call parking and integration with survivable branch appliances for continued communication during a WAN outage.
- New Feature Support for Microsoft Lync Qualified snom UC phones:
snom’s growing UC edition family currently includes the entry-level snom 300 UC edition, snom 370 and the advanced snom 821 UC edition, which are already tested and ‘Qualified for Microsoft Lync.’ These phones expand functionality beyond traditional voice features by integrating with the productivity-enhancing features included in Lync such as presence, quick dialing from Lync buddy lists and more. Now, with the latest firmware release, snom adds support for major features that further integrate the phone with Lync’s capabilities.
The new features include:
- Music on Hold – snom phones are now able to generate music for callers placed on hold.
- Boss/Admin – This new feature simplifies the flow of calls between two co-workers such as a boss and his/her administrative assistant, including line monitoring and intercepting incoming calls. One party can can also make calls on behalf of the other.
- Presence Buttons – Assign contacts to the phone’s buttons directly from the contact list and simply push the button to view live presence status in real-time.